The city of Savannah, Georgia, U.S.A., was originally laid out in 1733 around four open squares. The plan anticipated growth of the city and thus expansion of the grid; additional squares were added during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, and by 1851 there were twenty-four squares in the city. In the early twentieth century, three of the squares were demolished or altered beyond recognition, leaving twenty-one squares. (One of the three is currently being reclaimed.) Most of Savannah's squares are named in honor or in memory of a person or persons or a historical event, and many contain monuments, markers, memorials, statues, plaques, and other tributes.
1770 plan of Savannah showing the first six squares. The Savannah River and "north" are to the bottom of the image. In addition to the first four squares Johnson, Wright, St. James (Telfair) and Ellis it shows Oglethorpe and Reynolds Squares to the left.
1770 plan of Savannah showing the first six squares. The Savannah River and "north" are to the bottom of the image. In addition to the first four squares Johnson, Wright, St. James (Telfair) and Ellisit shows Oglethorpe and Reynolds Squares to the left.
The city of Savannah was founded in 1733 by General James Oglethorpe. Although cherished by many today for their aesthetic beauty, the first squares were originally intended to provide colonists space for military exercises. The original plan resembles the layout of contemporary military camps, which were likely quite familiar to General Oglethorpe. The layout was also a reaction against the cramped conditions that fueled the Great Fire of London in 1666, and there is speculation that Oglethorpe's military studies had made him familiar with the similar layout of Beijing. A square was established for each ward of the new city. The first four were Johnson, Wright, Ellis, and St. James (now Telfair) Squares, and themselves formed a larger square on the bluff overlooking the Savannah River. The original plan actually called for six squares, and as the city grew the grid of wards and squares was extended so that twenty-four squares were eventually created at the nodes of a six-by-five grid. (Two points on this grid were occupied by Colonial Park Cemetery, established in 1750, and four others in the southern corners of the downtown area were never developed with squares.) When the city began to expand south of Gaston Street, the grid of squares was abandoned and Forsyth Park was allowed to serve as a single, centralized park for that area.
All of the squares measure approximately 200 feet from north to south, but they vary east to west from approximately 100 to 300 feet. Typically, each square is intersected north-south and east-west by wide, two-way streets. They are bounded to the west and east by the south- and north-bound lanes of the intersecting north-south street, and to the north and south by smaller one-way streets running east-to-west and west-to-east, respectively. As a result, traffic flows one way counterclockwise around the squares, which thus function much like traffic circles.
Layout of a typical ward in Oglethorpe's plan.
Each square sits (or, in some cases, sat) at the center of a ward, which often shares its name with its square. The lots to the east and west of the squares, flanking the major east-west axis, were considered trust lots in the original city plan and intended for large public buildings such as churches, schools, or markets. The remainder of the ward was divided into four areas, called tythings, each of which was further divided into ten residential lots. This arrangement is illustrated in the 1770 Plan of Savannah, reproduced here, and remains readily visible in the modern aerial photograph above. The distinction between trust lot and residential lot has always been fluid. Some grand homes, such as the well-known Mercer House, stand on trust lots, while many of the residential lots have long hosted commercial properties.
All of the squares are a part of Savannah's historic district and fall within an area of less than one half square mile. The five squares along Bull Street Monterey, Madison, Chippewa, Wright, and Johnson were intended to be grand monument spaces and have been called Savannah's "Crown Jewels." Many of the other squares were designed more simply as commons or parks, although most serve as memorials as well.
Architect John Massengale has called Savannah's city plan "the most intelligent grid in America, perhaps the world," and Edmund Bacon wrote that "it remains as one of the finest diagrams for city organization and growth in existence." The American Society of Civil Engineers has honored Oglethorpes plan for Savannah as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark, and in 1994 the plan was nominated for inclusion in the UNESCO World Heritage List. The squares are a major point of interest for millions of tourists visiting Savannah each year, and they have been credited with stabilizing once-deteriorating neighborhoods and revitalizing Savannah's downtown commercial district.
The First Four, 1733
The first four squares were laid out by James Oglethorpe in 1733, the same year in which he founded the Georgia colony and the city of Savannah.
The sundial in Johnson Square
Johnson Square was the first of Savannah's squares and remains the largest of the twenty four. It was named for Robert Johnson, colonial governor of South Carolina and a friend of General Oglethorpe. Interred in the square is Revolutionary War hero General Nathanael Greene, the namesake of nearby Greene Square. Greene died in 1786 and was buried in Savannah's Colonial Park Cemetery. His son, George Washington Greene, was buried beside him after drowning in the Savannah River in 1793. Following vandalism of the cemetery by occupying Union forces during the Civil War the location of Greenes burial was lost. After the remains were re-identified Greene and his son were moved to Johnson Square. An obelisk in the centre of the square now serves as a memorial to Gen. Greene. The cornerstone of the monument was laid by Lafayette in 1825. At that time the obelisk did not yet commemorate any specific individual or event. In fact, due to financial restrictions the unmarked obelisk served for several years as a joint monument to both Greene and Casimir Pulaski. Inscriptions honoring Greene were added in 1886, but the Greenes physical remains did not arrive until 1901, following their "rediscovery."
Johnson Square contains two fountains, as well as a sundial dedicated to Colonel William Bull, the namesake of Savannah's Bull Street. Bull was a South Carolinian who assisted Oglethorpe with the establishment of Savannah and, as a surveyor, laid out the original street grid. The sundial has four panels, one on each side of its square granite base. The dial itself is bronze, set atop a marble shaft. One of the base panels reproduces a 1734 map of Savannah.
Johnson Square is located on Bull, between Bryan and Congress Streets.
The second square established in Savannah, Percival Square was named for Lord Percival, generally regarded as the man who gave the colony of Georgia its name (a tribute to Great Britain???s King George II). It was renamed in 1763 to honor James Wright, the third, last and perhaps most notable of Georgia's royal governors. Throughout its history it has also been known as Court House Square and Post Office Square; the present federal courthouse is adjacent to the west.
The square is the burial site of Tomochichi, a leader of the Creek nation of Native Americans. Tomochichi was a trusted friend of James Oglethorpe and assisted him in the founding of his colony. When Tomochichi died in 1739 Oglethorpe ordered him buried with military honors in the center of Percival Square. In accordance with his people's customs the grave was marked by a pyramid of stones gathered from the surrounding area. In 1883, citizens wishing to honor William Washington Gordon replaced Tomochichi's monument with an elaborate and highly allegorical monument to Gordon. William Gordon is thus the only native Savannahian honored with a monument in one of the citys squares. Gordon's own widow objected strongly to this perceived insult to Tomochichi. She and other members of the Colonial Dames of the State of Georgia planned to erect a new monument to Tomochichi, made of granite from Stone Mountain. The Stone Mountain Monument Company offered the material at no cost. Mrs. Gordon felt that she was being condescended to and insisted on paying. The Monument Company sent her a bill some sources say for fifty cents, others for one dollar payable on Judgment Day. Mrs. Gordon paid the bill and attached a note explaining that on Judgment Day she would be occupied with her own affairs. The new monument was erected in 1899. It stands in the southeast corner of the square and eulogizes Tomochichi as a great friend of James Oglethorpe and the people of Georgia.
Wright Square is on Bull, between State and York Streets.
Ellis Square was located on Barnard between Bryan and Congress Streets. It was named after Henry Ellis, second Royal Governor of the Georgia colony. It was also known as Marketplace Square, as from the 1730s through the 1950s it served as a center of commerce and was home to four successive market houses. Prior to Union General Sherman's arrival in December 1864 it was also the site of a slave market. In 1954 the city signed a fifty-year lease with the Savannah Merchants Cooperative Parking Association, allowing the association to raze the existing structure and construct a parking garage to serve the City Market retail project. Anger over the demolition of the market house helped spur the historic preservation movement in Savannah. When the lease expired in 2004 the city began plans to restore Ellis Square. The old parking garage was demolished in 2006, and as of June 2007 construction is underway on a new underground lot that will have twice the capacity of the old structure. Above ground, the square is to feature an open space for public concerts and other gatherings. Development of hotel and residential space on adjacent properties is taking place concurrently with the Ellis Square project. The restoration is slated to be completed in the Spring of 2008.
St. James Square was named in honor of a green space in London and marked one of the most fashionable neighborhoods in early Savannah. It was renamed in 1883 to honour the Telfair family. It is the only square honoring a family rather than an individual. The Telfairs included former Governor Edward Telfair, Congressman Thomas Telfair (Edward Telfair's son), and Mary Telfair (1791-1875), benefactor of Savannah's Telfair Museum of Art. The square also contains tributes to the Girl Scouts of America, founded by Savannahian Juliette Gordon Low, and to the chambered nautilus. Telfair Square is located on Barnard, between State and York Streets.
Two New squares
Oglethorpes plan called for six wards and squares. Lower New Square and Upper New Square now Reynolds and Oglethorpe Squares completed the founder's vision.
Statue of John Wesley in Reynolds Square
Lower New Square was laid out in 1734 and was later renamed for Capt. John Reynolds, governor of Georgia in the mid 1750s. Reynolds was in fact an unpopular governor and it is said that the celebration held upon his arrival in the colony was rivaled only by that held upon his departure. The square contains a bronze statue by Marshall Daugherty honoring John Wesley, founder of Methodism. Wesley spent most of his life in England but undertook a mission to Savannah (1735-1738), during which time he founded the first Sunday school in America. The statue was installed in 1969 on the spot where Wesleys home is believed to have stood. The statue is intended to show Wesley preaching out-of-doors as he did when leading services for Native Americans, a practice which angered church elders who believed that the Gospel should only be preached inside the church building.
Reynolds Square was the site of the Filature, which housed silkworms as part of an early and unsuccessful attempt to establish a silk industry in the Georgia colony. It is located on Abercorn, between Bryan and Congress Streets.
Upper New Square was laid out in 1742 and was later renamed in honor Georgia founder General James Oglethorpe. The square contains a pedestal honoring Moravian immigrants who arrived with John Wesley and settled in Savannah from 1735 to 1740 before resettling in Pennsylvania. A Savannah veterans group has proposed erecting a memorial to veterans of World War II in Oglethorpe Square. It is located on Abercorn, between State and York Streets.
Savannah grew rapidly in the late Eighteenth Century and six new wards were established in the 1790s alone, including the four that now comprise the northeastern quadrant of the Historic District. The new wards expanded the grid by one unit to the west and by two to the east. Due to space restrictions these new wards are slightly narrower east-to-west than the original six.
Built in 1790, Washington Square was named in 1791 for the first President of the United States, who visited Savannah in that year. Washington Square had been the site of the Trustees' Garden. Named for the trustees of Oglethorpe's colony the garden was the proving ground for a variety of experimental cropsincluding mulberry (for silkworms), hemp, and indigo viewed as potential cash crops for the new colony. Most of these experiments proved unsuccessful. Washington Square is on Houston, between Bryan and Congress Streets. Washington Square was one of only two squares named to honor a then-living person; Troup Square was the other. Washington Square was once the site of massive New Year's Eve bonfires; these were discontinued in the 1950s.
Franklin Square was laid out in 1790. In 1791 it was named for Benjamin Franklin, who served as an agent for the colony of Georgia from 1768 to 1778 and who had died in 1790. It was also known as Water Tank Square, Water Tower Square and Reservoir Square, having been the site of the city's water supply. Franklin Square almost suffered the same fate as other Montgomery Street squares that were lost to development in the 1970s but was restored during the following decade. Franklin Square is located on Montgomery, between Bryan and Congress Streets, and anchors the western end of the City Market retail area. A memorial honoring Haitian volunteers who fought with Pulaski during the Siege of Savannah is planned for Franklin Square.
Warren Square was laid out in 1791 and named for General Joseph Warren, a Revolutionary War hero killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill who had served as President of the Provincial Government of Massachusetts. British gunpowder seized by Savannahians had been sent to aid the Americans at Bunker Hill. The ??????sister city?????? relationship between Savannah and Boston survived even the Civil War, and Bostonians sent shiploads of provisions to Savannah shortly after the city surrendered to Gen. Sherman in 1864. Warren Square is on Habersham, between Bryan and Congress Streets.
Columbia Square was laid out in 1799 and is named for Columbia, the poetic personification of the United States. It is located on Habersham, between State and York Streets. In the centre of the square is a fountain that formerly stood at Wormsloe, the estate of Noble Jones, one of Georgia's first settlers. It was moved to Columbia Square in 1970 to honor Augusta and Wymberly DeRenne, descendants of Jones. It is sometimes called the rustic fountain, as it is decorated with vines, leaves, flowers, and other woodland motifs.
Greene Square was laid out in 1799 and is named for Revolutionary War hero General Nathanael Greene, an aide to George Washington. A native of Rhode Island, Greene commanded southern forces during the Revolution, and after the war settled at Mulberry Grove, an estate fourteen miles above Savannah. Greene, along with his son, is actually buried in Savannah's Johnson Square. Greene Square was once the center of Savannahs African-American community. It is located on Houston, between State and York Streets.
Liberty Square was laid out in 1799 and named in honor of the Sons of Liberty and the victory over the British in the Revolutionary War. It was located on Montgomery between State and York Streets. It was paved over to make way for improvements to Montgomery Street. A small portion remains and is the site of the "Flame of Freedom" sculpture.
Nineteenth Century Squares
Expansion of Oglethorpe's grid of wards and squares continued through the first half of the Nineteenth Century, until a total of twenty four squares stood in downtown Savannah.
Elbert Square was laid out in 1801 and named for Samuel Elbert, a Revolutionary soldier, sheriff of Chatham County, and Governor of Georgia. It was located on Montgomery between Hull and Perry streets. It was paved over to make way for improvements to Montgomery Street and today is represented by a small grassy area across Montgomery from the west entrance to the Civic Center.
Chippewa Square was laid out in 1815 and named in honor of American soldiers killed in the Battle of Chippawa during the War of 1812. (The spelling "Chippewa" is correct in reference to this square.)
In the centre of the square is a bronze statue of Georgia founder General James Oglethorpe created by sculptor Daniel Chester French and unveiled in 1910. Oglethorpe faces south, toward Georgia???s one-time enemy in Spanish Florida, and his sword is drawn. Busts of Confederate figures Francis Stebbins Bartow and Lafayette McLaws were moved from Chippewa Square to Forsyth Park to make room for the Oglethorpe monument. Due to the location of the monument, Savannahians sometimes refer to this as Oglethorpe Square, although the actual Oglethorpe Square sits just to the northeast.
The "park bench" scene which opens the film Forrest Gump was filmed on the north side of Chippewa Square. The bench was a fiberglas prop, rather than one of the park's actual benches. A prop bench used in the film is on display at the Savannah Visitors Center. Chippewa Square is located on Bull, between Hull and Perry Streets.
Orleans Square was laid out in 1815 and commemorates General Andrew Jackson's victory in the Battle of New Orleans that same year. In the centre of the square the German Memorial Fountain honours early German immigrants to Savannah. Installed in 1989 it commemorates the 250th anniversary of Georgia and of Savannah, as well as the 300th anniversary of the arrival in Philadelphia of thirteen Rhenish families. Orleans Square is located on Barnard, between Hull and Perry Streets, and is adjacent to the Savannah Civic Center.
Lafayette Square was laid out in 1837 and is named for the Marquis de La Fayette, the French hero of the American Revolution, who visited Savannah in 1825. The square contains a fountain commemorating the 250th anniversary of the founding of the Georgia colony, donated by the Colonial Dames of Georgia in 1984, as well as cobblestone sidewalks. Lafayette Square is located on Abercorn, between Harris and Charlton Streets. Adjacent to the square is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. John the Baptist; given this proximity Lafayette Square features prominently in Savannahs massive St. Patricks Day celebrations. Water in the fountain is dyed green for the occasion.
Pulaski Square was laid out in 1837 and is named for General Casimir Pulaski, who died in the Siege of Savannah. It is one of the few squares without a monument General Pulaskis statue is actually in nearby Monterey Square. Prior to the birth of the historical preservation movement and the restoration of much of Savannah
s downtown Pulaski sheltered a sizeable homeless population and was one of several squares that had been paved to allow traffic to drive straight through its center.
Pulaski square is located on Barnard, between Harris and Charlton Streets and is known for its live oaks.
Madison Square was laid out in 1837 and named for James Madison, fourth President of the United States. In the centre of the square is a 1888 statue by Alexander Doyle memorializing Sgt. William Jasper, a soldier in the Siege of Savannah who, though mortally wounded, heroically recovered his company's banner. Savannahians sometimes refer to this as Jasper Square, in honor of Jasper's statue. Madison Square features vintage cannon from the Savannah Armory. These now mark the starting points of the first highways in Georgia, the Ogeechee Road leading to Darien and the Augusta Road to Augusta. The square also includes a monument marking the center of the British resistance during the Siege. Madison Square is located on Bull, between Harris and Charlton Streets.
Crawford Square was laid out in 1841 and named in honor of Secretary of the Treasury William Harris Crawford, born in Savannah in 1772. Crawford ran for President in 1824 but came in third, after winner John Quincy Adams and runner-up Andrew Jackson. Although Crawford is the smallest of the squares it anchors the largest ward, as Crawford Ward includes the territory of Colonial Park Cemetery. It is located on Houston, between Hull and Perry Streets on the eastern edge of the historic district. During the era of Jim Crow this was the only square in which African-Americans were permitted. The square contains playground facilities, a basketball court, and a gazebo. While all squares were once fenced it is the only one that remains so. Crawford Square has also retained its cistern, a holdover from early fire fighting practices. After a major fire in 1820 firemen maintained duty stations in the squares, each of which was equipped with a storage cistern.
Chatham Square was laid out in 1847 and named in 1851 for William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham. Although Pitt never visited Savannah he was an early supporter of the Georgia colony and both Chatham Square and Chatham County are named in his honor. The square is located on Barnard, between Taylor and Gordon Streets. Chatham Square is sometimes known locally as Barnard Square, in reference to a city school that stood adjacent for many years.
Monterey Square was laid out in 1847 and commemorates the Battle of Monterrey (1846), in which American forces under General Zachary Taylor captured the city of Monterrey during the Mexican-American War. (The correct spelling in reference to the square is "Monterey," with a single r.) In the centre of the square is an 1852 monument honoring General Casimir Pulaski, a Polish-born Revolutionary War hero who died of wounds received in the Siege of Savannah (1779).
The cornerstone of the monument was laid by Lafayettein Chippewa Square. Due to financial limitations an obelisk in Johnson Square served as a joint memorial to Nathanael Green and Pulaski for several years. By 1852 funds had been collected to give Pulaski his own monument. The sculptor was allowed to chose the site for the project and he had the cornerstone moved to Monterey Square. Deterioration of the Pulaski monument was noted as early as 1912, and pieces began to fall in the 1990s. Restoration of the monument was completed in 2001. The body of an unknown Revolutionary soldier is said to be buried beneath Pulaskis monument. Some have speculated that Pulaski himself is buried there, although he is generally believed to have been buried at sea.
Monterey Square is the site of Mercer House, built by Hugh Mercer and more recently the home of antiques dealer and restorationist Jim Williams. The house, and the square itself, were featured prominently in John Berendt's 1994 true crime novel Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. The square has been used as a setting for several motion pictures, including the 1997 film version of the novel.
The square also is home to Congregation Mickve Israel, which boasts the only only Gothic-style synagogue in America, dating from 1878.
Monterey Square is located on Bull, between Taylor and Gordon Streets and is widely considered to be the most picturesque of Savannah's squares. All of the surrounding buildings but one (the United Way Building) are original to the square.
Troup Square was laid out in 1851 and named for former Georgia Governor, Congressman, and Senator, George Troup. It is one of only two squares named for a person living at the time (the other being Washington Square). A large iron armillary sphere stands in the centre of the square, supported by six small metal turtles. The armillary has been the source of some controversy, as it is one of the only examples of modern sculpture in the squares. Troup Square is located on Habersham, between Harris and Charlton Streets. A special dog fountain is located on the west side of the square. The Myers Drinking Fountain was a gift from Savannah mayor Herman Myers in 1897 and originally placed in Forsyth Park. When moved to Troup Square its height was adjusted for canine use and has become the site of an annual Blessing of the Animals.
Calhoun Square was laid out in 1851, one of the last squares created, and is named for South Carolina statesman John C. Calhoun, who served as Secretary of War, Secretary of State, and as Vice President under John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson. It is sometimes called Massie Square in reference to a neighborhood school. It is the only square with all of its original buildings intact. It is located on Abercorn, between Taylor and Gordon Streets.
Whitefield Square was laid out in 1851, the last of Savannah's squares, and was named for George Whitefield (pronounced witt-field and thus often misspelled Whitfield), an English clergyman. A friend of John Wesley, Whitefield founded a home for orphans and ministered to some of Savannah's earliest settlers. The square and much of the surrounding ward became the first burial ground for African-Americans in Savannah, after the backyard burial of slaves was prohibited in 1818. Many of the remains were removed to Laurel Grove Cemetery when the ward was developed. The square's gazebo is a popular setting for weddings. It is located on Habersham, between Taylor and Gordon Streets.
After 1851, as the city expanded south of Gaston Street, further extensions of Oglethorpe's grid of wards and squares were abandoned. Forsyth Park, located just south of Monterey Ward, was intended to be a single large park that would serve the growing southern portion of the city just as the squares had served their individual wards. The original northern portion of the park, surrounding the well-known fountain, occupied an area the size of an entire ward from the old city, and the park more than doubled in size during later years. Other, smaller neighborhood parks have been established in the southern portions of the city.
#  ??? Name ??? Name Origin Year Established ??? Intersection Monuments Landmarks Status ???
1. Franklin Benjamin Franklin 1790 Montgomery Street and
West St. Julian Street Chasseurs volontaires de Saint-Domingue  First African Baptist Church Nearly lost in the 1970s; restored
2. Ellis Henry Ellis,
Governor of Georgia 1733 Barnard Street and
West St. Julian Street n/a City Market
(demolished) Lost; currently being restored
3. Johnson Robert Johnson,
Governor of South Carolina 1733 Bull Street and
St. Julian Street Nathanael Greene,
Major General Christ Church Preserved
4. Reynolds John Reynolds,
Governor of Georgia 1734 Abercorn Street and
East St. Julian Street John Wesley,
early leader of the Methodist movement Pink House
Lucas Theater Preserved
5. Warren Dr. Joseph Warren,
Major General 1791 Habersham Street and
East St. Julian Street John David Mongin House
Spencer House Preserved
6. Washington George Washington ,
U.S. President 1790 Houston Street and
East St. Julian Street Seaman's House Preserved
7. Liberty Sons of Liberty 1799 133 Montgomery Street Flame of Freedom County Courthouse Lost
8. Telfair Edward Telfair,
Governor of Georgia  1733 Barnard Street and
West President Street Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences
Trinity Methodist Church Preserved
9. Wright James Wright,
Governor of Georgia  1733 Bull Street and
President Street William Washington Gordon,
Mayor of Savannah  Lutheran Church of the Ascension
U.S. Post Office
Old County Courthouse Preserved
10. Oglethorpe James Oglethorpe,
Founder of Savannah 1742 Abercorn Street and
East President Street Owens-Thomas House Preserved
11. Columbia Columbia,
American symbol 1799 Habersham Street and
East President Street Wormsloe Fountain Davenport House
Universalist Church Preserved
12. Greene Nathanael Greene,
Major General 1799 Houston Street and
East President Street Second African Baptist Church Preserved
13. Elbert Samuel Elbert,
Governor of Georgia 1801 237 Montgomery Street Savannah Civic Center Lost
14. Orleans Battle of New Orleans 1815 Barnard Street and
West McDonough Street German Societies Fountain Champion-McAlpin House
Savannah Civic Center Preserved
15. Chippewa Battle of Chippawa 1815 Bull Street and
McDonough Street James Oglethorpe,
Founder of Savannah First Baptist Church
Savannah Theatre Preserved
16. Crawford William H. Crawford,
U.S. Senator 1841 Houston Street and
East McDonough Street Gazebo  Preserved
17. Pulaski Kazimierz Pu??aski,
Brigadier General 1837 Barnard Street and
West Macon Street Francis Bartow House Preserved
18. Madison James Madison,
U.S. President 1837 Bull Street and
Macon Street William Jasper,
Sergeant Green-Meldrim House
St. John's Episcopal Church
Scottish Rite Temple
Old Savannah Volunteer Guards Armory
Sorrel Weed House Preserved
19. Lafayette Marquis de La Fayette ,
Lieutenant General 1837 Abercorn Street and
East Macon Street Semiquincentenary Fountain Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist
Andrew Low House Preserved
20. Troup George Troup,
Governor of Georgia 1851 Habersham Street and
East Macon Street Armillary sphere McDonough Row Houses
Kennedy Row Preserved
21. Chatham William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham,
U.K. Prime Minister 1847 Barnard Street and
West Wayne Street Gordon Row Preserved
22. Monterrey Battle of Monterey 1847 Bull Street and
Wayne Street Kazimierz Pu??aski,
Brigadier General Mercer House Preserved
23. Calhoun John C. Calhoun,
U.S. Senator and
U.S. Vice President 1851 Abercorn Street and
East Wayne Street Wesley Monumental Methodist Church
Massie School Preserved
24. Whitefield George Whitefield,
early leader of the Methodist movement 1851 Habersham Street and
East Wayne Street Gazebo First Congregational Church